Thursday, June 19, 2008

Table 4 Four - Don's Pie


I took part in The New Paper's Table 4 Four and was part of the trio that went for Monday's lunch at Don's Pie. Don's Pie has an array of outlets over Singapore and is famed for their Specialty Chicken Pie. I thought all they had to offer was pies, pies, pies but boy, was I wrong.



First up was the Sri Lankan Cold Crabs. The meat was really juicy and had a lot of 'oomph' factor to it and there were a lot of roe in those crab.


Then we were served the Crab Bee Hoon (Dry). I personally didn't enjoy this dish though the crab was good. I found the black pepper taste to be too overwhelming that is covered the overall taste of the dish. It's probably good for curing blocked noses though.


Being famed for their pies, how could we miss out on trying those! Don served up their Specialty Chicken Pie and boy, was it real good. The pie crust was flaky enough but wasn't overly flaky to cause you to choke on it. The filling was AMAZING!!!! The chunks of chicken were everywhere and the potatoes and all were so hearty and delicious. No wonder it's their specialty!


We also had the Crab Bee Hoon (Soup). I loved this. They cooked the soup with tang kuey - a type of Chinese herbs for women, especially - and I was quite surprised I liked the taste of it with the soup. I felt it brought out the taste of the crabs really well and the yam were delicious! I never ate that many yam in one sitting before!


We also had the Black Pepper Chicken Pie. Don't really know why but they seem to enjoy using black pepper extravagantly in their dishes. Once again, I thought the use of black pepper was over the top and I didn't like this.


The was the first drink I had when we sat down - Avocado Juice. Everyone enjoyed this so much it was one of the featured dishes! Creamy and not overly sweet, you could still taste the avocado! Yummmm.


Later on during the meal, I had a glass of Lime Juice. It looked really mild because of the color but godddd, was it sour!


Last but not least, the dessert! Cheesecake! Which is what they are known for as well. They use Philly's Cream Cheese so you can be sure it taste real good and the jam on the bottom helps to accentuate the taste of the cheese and complimented it really well!

And that was the end of it! The whole experience was really fun and I got to try really nice food and made new friends as well. Check out this Sunday's TNP for the coverage! Pray to God, I don't look like shit.

Don - Your Personal Pie Club
20 Cross Street
#01-34/35/36
China Square Central, Singapore 048422

Check out their website HERE!

No comments: