Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas Dinner!

"Let's say grace then we can start eating."

That line never fails to make my insides bubble with excitement and my stomach from groaning with hunger. Which explains why I could never keep my eyes shut long enough till grace has been said.

This year isn't an exception. From watching my Uncle arrive with the big bag that contained the whole turkey, ham, pork knuckles, roast beef and log cake to watching in anticipation, trying to stop myself from drooling as they remove each dish from the boxes and arrange it on the table. Yes, the table that is lined already with my Grandma's fried bee hoon (thin rice noodles) and prawn fritters. I couldn't take my eyes off the table!

awesome beehoon!
prawn fritters

Every occasion celebrated in our family will always be accompanied by my Grandma's bee hoon. No other noodle dish I've ever eaten can achieve the same standard by this beyond awesome beehoon from my Grandma. I could never get enough of eating it! If my stomach was a bottomless pit, I'd probably eat up the whole pot before moving on the rest. Oh, my Grandma's prawn fritters are to die for! She added something in the batter to make it taste really good and I never put any chili on it 'cos it'll just ruin the perfect taste. Oily as it may be, to hell with it, I'm having all of it!

curry chicken

And... CURRY CHICKEN!!! Curry chicken just owns! Like seriously. The gravy is thick and spicy and omg, I can just drink everything up even though it's supposed to be very bad for your body. But that's just how good it is!

roast beef

We had the usual Christmas fare as well, turkey, roast beef - the works! I love love the roast beef and how it's still red in the middle. I'd probably never get why some people are put of by it. Red meat is good.

turkey and mashham!

Turkey is a must have each year but I never understood why I don't quite like it. I won't cut it out of my dinner but I would prefer say, roast beef over turkey. I think it's my dislike for 'dry' meat. I like the oily and moist part of poultry like the thigh! And one of my faves, ham! I like how finely sliced it is and god, I'll drizzle it with the gravy and just pop it in my mouth. Brillance.

pork knuckles

I love the bread rolls. They toasted it lightly before serving so it's crispy on the outside and really warm inside. I love the sound of the bread crust cracking as you break it into two, music to my ears! Heh. Pork knuckles was AWESOME. The crackling was super crisssspy and the meat was tender and it smelled really good. I like how I got to get a whiff of the meat before it enters my mouth. Gahhh, awesome!

log cake

And for desserts - Log Cake! Yay I love log cake and I normally hate cream and stuff but with log cake, I'd scrape away the last of the cream on the plate. Oh, and don't you think the log cake looks really pretty! :P

so much foooood!!!fruit punch

We had fruit punch for drinks, of which my cousin added tequila to. Not that anyone minds, hahah. And see how much food we had!!

PS: Sorry for the crappy photos but my camera was being a bitch that day! ):

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a delicious spread, especially the prawns and curry chicken. I love turkey and ham and all the western Christmas fare, but your Grandma's prawn fritters look/sound wonderful (and curry I can eat for any occasion!).

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, and I forgot to say Merry Christmas! LOL

foodislove said...

I love the western fare but because it's my Grandma's cooking, I can just eat the asian fare the whole night!

LOL! Merry Christmas too! Or rather, Happy Holidays! Heh!